Books, Readings and Vids
Specific to the Game Maker design engine
Site which supports the book of the same name. Some educator resources here too.
Casual Game Design: Designing Play for the Gamer in All of Us | Gregory Trefryhttp://www.amazon.com/Casual-Game-Design-Designing-ebook/dp/B003FQM37E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1274187826&sr=8-1
(also available on Kindle and as an e-Book)
Book on fun in games
Book on Game Design - not just video games but theory behind games
Interesting article about problem solving and the scientific method.
Great read about games, simulations, children, military, deception - considering for use as part of an ethics discussion in a video game development course.
Cory Doctorow's science-fiction story on human rights in the digital world.
A discussion of drones, their pilots and PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder). Consider the relationship between this live "video-game" and ethics & values. Consider PTSD and examine and similar relationships within the gamer community.
Interview with P.W. Singer - has audio file and transcripts
Decent article on the Why? of Video Game Development courses
- Nice list of game engines and platforms
Great article on inner city/urban initiative which gets HS kids working with and teaching MS students and thereby reinforcing their own understanding.
Great resource to accompany Discovery's Rise of the Videogame series
Class & Course Sites
Course description for undergraduate course
Course description for Univ of Illinois @ Chicago
UK unit on Game Dev using Scratch
Great primer on the use of flowcharts in programming.
A great explanation of the coordinate system used by Game Maker.
- understand how
- the coordinate system in Game Maker works
A terrific resource for teachers new to teaching the concepts around video game development (like me).
Another teacher's resource for developing a video game design course.
An in-depth explanation of the role of alarms in Game Maker
More tutorials on Game Maker
Came across this site which uses behavioral analysis to determine which techniques to include in military training sims. May go well with reading of Ender's Game and discussion of military's drone program.
Lectures material from Professor Whitehead at UCSC
Game Development Resources
Although it speaks of college level math, I want to have a math focus in my HS course. This is a helpful thought from another educator.
List of resources for video game development programs
Interesting blog on video game design
Video game based on reality - teaching science through games.
Another product from FAS.org - this time an historical video game set in ancient Mesopotamia.
Programs & Applications:
Video Game Development Engine
Alice is an innovative 3D programming environment that makes it easy to create an animation for telling a story, playing an interactive game, or a video to share on the web. Alice is a teaching tool for introductory computing. It uses 3D graphics and a drag-and-drop interface to facilitate a more engaging, less frustrating first programming experience.
- Alice is an innovative 3D programming environment that makes it easy to create an animation for telling a story, playing an interactive game, or a video to share on the web. Alice is a teaching tool for introductory computing. It uses 3D graphics and a drag-and-drop interface to facilitate a more engaging, less frustrating first programming experience.
Free resources but also a link to a physical book which can be used in a VGD curriculum
- Scratch is a new programming language that makes it easy to create your
- own interactive stories, animations, games, music, and art -- and share
- your creations on the web.
- Scratch is designed to help young people (ages 8 and up) develop 21st century learning skills.
- As they create Scratch projects, young people learn important mathematical
- and computational ideas, while also gaining a deeper understanding of the process
- of design.
Consider greenfoot as a combination between a framework for creating two-dimensional grid assignments in Java and an integrated development environment (class browser, editor, compiler, execution, etc.) suitable for novice programmers. While greenfoot supports the full Java language, it is especially useful for programming exercises that have a visual element. In greenfoot object visualisation and object interaction are the key elements.
- Consider greenfoot as a combination between a framework for creating
- two-dimensional grid assignments in Java and an integrated development
- environment (class browser, editor, compiler, execution, etc.) suitable
- for novice programmers. While greenfoot supports the full Java language,
- it is especially useful for programming exercises that have a visual
- element. In greenfoot object visualisation and object interaction are
- the key elements.
Home of Kodu Game Lab PC, a game development engine
DarkBASIC allows you to create your own games, demos, slideshows, even business applications using the easy to understand BASIC programming language. Even if you've never coded before, just follow the in-depth tutorials and you'll be generating results in minutes! Harness the power of Direct X and make 3D objects come to life in just a few simple commands.
Free open-source 3D game making engine for VideoGames, RPGs & Game Design Creation
Unreal Engine 3
- UDK is Unreal Engine 3 – the complete professional development framework. All the tools you need to create great games, advanced visualizations and detailed 3D simulations.
Game Design Engine - not free
Programs & Applications:
Open-Source Programming Environment
MS Resources for video game development
How to develop games using C++